Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Night Sew In - The Results!!




I think my first ever FNSI was a success :)
I didn't finish any projects, but I did make some good progress.
The first project I worked on was a pair of mug rugs. I used the tutorial from Don't call me Betsy: http://www.dontcallmebetsy.com/2011/09/mug-rug-madness-tetris-mug-rug.html
I've been cutting out the fabric for the last couple of weeks. Here's a picture:
I used Valentine's fabric to create the Tetris mug rugs. I like my mug rugs big, so I am going to add a couple of borders to these. This was my first time playing with pieces of fabric so small - they were 1.5 inch squares. I was intimidated at first, but it wasn't too bad.
Project #2 was my own design inspired by some of the mini-quilts on display at the Houston Quilt Festival. I have a lot of flair on my lanyard that I wear every day at work. They represent different projects I've worked on or meaningful events. My badge & lanyard combo have gotten quite heavy, but I still wanted to display my flair. When I saw the mini-quilts on display, I had a great idea. Here is one of the quilts that inspired me:
I decided to incorporate some hand embroidery in my version. Here is what I was able to do tonight:
I can't wait to finish this mini-quilt and add my flair to it!!!!
Jake approves of my work :)

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to FNSI! It's a lot of fun, huh?. :) I really like your embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been participating for a while, but now I have a blog to document my progress. I learned how to embroider from a couple of books - Doodle Stitches and Embroidered Effects. The split stitch is my favorite :)

      Delete